The most common file types and extensions
There are hundreds of file extensions used on computers today thanks to technology evolution. Memorizing all of them is a daunting task. Actually, it’s unlikely that you’ll keep them all in mind. In most cases, you only memorize the files that you interact with within your line of work. If you’re an architect, social media marketer, or you deal with big data and speech recognition, you know the best files to use in those fields.
Today we’ll look at the list of the most popular file formats that we’re most likely to come across in our day-to-day activities.
Audio file formats
Digital audio data is stored on a computer system (i.e. mobile phones, PCs, tablets, iPhones) using audio files. Below is a list of the most common audio file extensions.
- .aif – Audio interchange file format
- .cda - CD digital audio file
- .m4a - MPEG-4 audio file.
- .mp3 - MP3 audio file
- .m4r – MPEG-4 ringtone audio file
- .mpa - MPEG-2 audio file
- .ogg - Ogg Vorbis audio file
- .wav - WAVE file
- .wma - WMA audio file
- .weba – WebM audio file
Compressed file extensions
Almost everyone with a computer is familiar with .zip compressed files. However, there are other types of compressed file formats. Here are the most common compressed file extensions.
- .7z - 7-Zip compressed file
- .arj - ARJ compressed file
- .deb - Debian software package file
- .gzip – GNU compressed archive
- .lzma – LZMA compressed file
- .rar - WINRAR file
- .rpm - Red Hat Package Manager
- .tar.gz - Tarball compressed file
- .z - Z compressed file
- .zip - Zip compressed file
Disc file extensions
These files have the exact replica of data from a CD, DVD, or computer hard disk. In most cases, these files are used for backup and duplication purposes. Here are the most popular disc image file extensions.
- .dmg - macOS X disk image
- .iso - ISO disc image
- .img – Disk image data file
- .vhd - Virtual hard disk
Developer file extensions
These are files related to software development. Any application we install contains programming project files, code libraries, source codes, etc. Here are the most common developer files.
- .csv - Comma separated value file
- .sql - Structured Query Language file
- .xml - XML file
- .html – Hypertext Markup Language file
- .cur – Windows cursor file
- .dcr – Shockwave media file
- .jar -Java Archive file
Font file extensions
These files store one or many fonts that can be accessed using various operating systems. Below are the most common file extensions.
- .otf - Open type font file
- .ttf - TrueType font file
- .pt3 – PostScript Type 3 file
- .woff – Web Open Font Format file
Image file formats by file extension
We all interact with image file formats on a daily basis. Below is a list of the most common image file extensions. You can check out how and when to use the image file formats.
- .ai - Adobe Illustrator file
- .bmp - Bitmap image
- **.**cdr – CorelDraw Image file
- .gif - GIF image
- .ico - Windows Icon File file
- .jpeg or .jpg - JPEG image
- .png - PNG image
- .ps3 - Level III PostScript file
- .psd – Photoshop document image file
- .svg - Scalable Vector Graphics file
- .tif or .tiff – Tagged Image File format image
Presentation file formats
Presentation files contain a collection of slides with texts, images, animations, formatting, among others. Below is a list of the most common file extensions.
- .key - Keynote presentation
- .odp – OpenDocument Presentation file
- .pps - PowerPoint slide show file
- .ppt - PowerPoint presentation file
- .pptx - PowerPoint Open XML presentation
Spreadsheet file formats
Here are the most common spreadsheet file extensions.
- .ods - OpenDocument spreadsheet file
- .xls - Excel spreadsheet file
- .xlsm – Open XML Macro-enabled Spreadsheet
- .xlsx - Excel Open XML spreadsheet file
Video file formats
Videos have become the way of communication on almost all social platforms. Here are some of the most popular video formats you’ll come across.
- .3g2 - 3GPP2 multimedia file
- .3gp - 3GPP multimedia file
- .avi – Audio Video Interleave file
- .flv - Adobe Flash file
- .hevs – High efficiency video coding file
- .m4v - iTunes video file
- .mkv - Matroska Multimedia Container file
- .mov - Apple QuickTime movie file
- .mp4 - MPEG4 video file
- .mpg or .mpeg - MPEG video file
- .rm - RealMedia file
- .swf - Shockwave flash file
- .vob - DVD Video Object file
- .webm – WebM video
- .wmv - Windows Media Video file
Document file formats
Written word has never been easy to share like it is now thanks to document files. People are able to open, view, read, and edit. Here are some of the most popular document file.